TG Updates

Visitors

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archives

Showing posts with label news2. Show all posts
Showing posts with label news2. Show all posts

Google banned ads rocket to 134m

Written By samizares on Friday, June 1, 2012 | Friday, June 01, 2012

Google said that its advertising business was forced to block roughly 134 million malicious and misleading submissions last year. The company reported that its volume of disapproved advertisements more than doubled between 2010 and 2011, up from 56.4 million blocks in 2010 and just 25.3 million in 2008.

 Additionally, Google banned some 824,000 advertisers in 2011, up from 248,000 in 2010 and 18,000 in 2008. Google said that the advertisements were removed for violating the terms and conditions of the Google and AdSense platforms. The terms prohibits ads which are misleading, linked to malware attacks and considered to be spam. "Bad ads have a disproportionately negative effect on our users; even a single bad ad slipping through our defenses is one too many," Google director of advertising engineering David Baker said in a blog post. 

"That’s why we’re constantly working to improve our systems and utilise new techniques to prevent bad ads from appearing on Google and our partner sites." Malicious advertisements have long been an issue for Google and other online advertising firms. Cybercriminals often embed malicious code or other unwanted content within advertising materials in order to bypass security protections and filtering systems.

 Baker noted that the company has also had to ban advertisers for copyright and trademark violations, such as advertisements for counterfeit items. "We find that there are relatively few malicious players, who make multiple attempts to bypass our defences to defraud users," said Baker. "As we get better and faster at catching these advertisers, they redouble their efforts and create more accounts at an even faster rate."
Friday, June 01, 2012 | 0 comments | Read More

Wikileaks Launches Social Network for Supporters

Written By samizares on Thursday, May 31, 2012 | Thursday, May 31, 2012


A place to support Wikileaks and connect with people that share your beliefs.
Wikileaks has launched its own social network for supporters of the whistle-blowing site to connect and get to know each other. Dubbed Friends of Wikileaks, or FoWL, the site automatically connects users with like-minded individuals in an attempt to provide people with the useful connections they need to take action.
"Since its inception, many small groups have sprung up in support of WikiLeaks. They have been forming without much global cohesion, and only a fraction of the people who support WikiLeaks have found a way to come together to engage in the practical defence of the organisation," reads the FoWL manifesto. "FoWL will connect these individuals, groups and organisations so that they may find synergies, and work together in an efficient and productive manner. We want all existing WikiLeaks support organisations to remain fully autonomous and independent and continue the work they are doing, but at the same time interconnect and work together for various common goals."
FoWL isn't like your everyday social network, either. Instead of choosing and adding friends, FoWL will select your contacts for you. When joining, you'll provide your email address, the area you live in, your contact details (can be hidden or visible to your friends), languages you speak, and a little about yourself and why you're joining the site. FoWL will then connect you with 12 people in your chosen languages. Six of these will be from your area and the other six from around the world. If you choose to delete one of them from your contact list (if they're too quiet or "lazy," for example), you'll be connected with another. 
On Sunday, Wikileaks was busy using its Twitter page to broadcast the reasons why FoWL is better than social networking giant Facebook. Reason number four stated that FoWL keeps users data "so encrypted, not even the system admins can decrypt it." This was followed by reason five, which stated that FoWL "uses military grade cryptography and the best industry standards" to protect user data.
FoWL is now open to sign ups, but the site warns new users that 'for some time, nothing else will happen. "We need the network to be of a certain size before we can start introducing you to candidate friends," FoWL explains. "Registering now will allow you to be a part of the network before the beta stage network gets full. As soon as we are ready to give you some candidate friends we will let you know."
Check out FoWL for yourself at www.WLFriends.org.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 | 0 comments | Read More

AT&T buying T-Mobile: A disconnect for consumers

The second-biggest wireless carrier in America would get bigger and your choice for wireless service would get smaller should AT&T carry out its plan to buy T-Mobile USA. The deal, announced Sunday afternoon, would vault AT&T past Verizon Wireless as the America's largest wireless carrier, adding T-Mobile's 33.7 million customers to its 95.5 million, for a total of 129.2 million customers - far more than Verizon's 102.2 million.

 It would also reduce the number of nationwide wireless carriers from four to three. A site advertising the merger, mobilizeeverything.com, lists reasons for the government to support the deal, such as the presence of local or regional wireless carriers, the prospect of upgrades to AT&T's capacity in urban areas and a promise to extend high-speed LTE, or Long Term Evolution, wireless broadband to cover 95 percent of Americans. 

The most important point for current AT&T customers is the addition of T-Mobile's wireless spectrum. That could provide quick relief to users unable to complete calls or downloads over AT&T's overloaded airwaves. (It's fair to ask why the company couldn't invest the $25 billion in cash it proposes to spend for T-Mobile on upgrading its own network, in part by bidding on the coming spectrum auctions set out in the government's National Broadband Plan.) T-Mobile customers would also see improved coverage, but they wouldn't get the iPhone any sooner. But those aren't the most important things for the government to evaluate in its antitrust review. 

There's a larger market to consider. Allowing the second-biggest company in a four-company market to buy the fourth-largest rival looks bad enough in the abstract. But in this particular industry, it would be even worse. The third-largest nationwide carrier, Sprint, would be hard-pressed to compete with AT&T and Verizon after such a merger. With 49.9 million customers and a complicated mobile-broadband situation, it would fall into a lousy competitive position and might become an acquisition target for Verizon.

 A merger of AT&T and T-Mobile would also reduce the number of nationwide carriers using the wireless technology favored by most of the rest of the world, the GSM standard, from two to one. In the bargain, AT&T probably would terminate T-Mobile's far more liberal "unlocking" policies, which let customers use its phones on carriers of their choice overseas instead of paying exorbitant roaming rates. People would also see the end of such customer-friendly features such as T-Mobile's cheaper, bring-your-own-phone Even More Plus plans and its more generous wireless-data plans. 

 As for AT&T, consider its stewardship of the iPhone when it had a monopoly on Apple's smartphone: It couldn't provide reliable service in some major markets, implemented new features months after iPhone carriers overseas, refused to unlock iPhones for use on those services in other countries even after subscribers had completed their contracts, and capped customers' data usage.
Thursday, May 31, 2012 | 0 comments | Read More

Hackers outwit online banking identity security system

Written By samizares on Monday, February 6, 2012 | Monday, February 06, 2012

Criminal hackers have found a way round the latest generation of online banking security devices given out by banks, the BBC has learned.After logging in to the bank's real site, account holders are being tricked by the offer of training in a new "upgraded security system".

Money is then moved out of the account but this is hidden from the user.

Experts say customers should follow banks' official advice, use up-to-date anti-virus software and be vigilant.

Devices like PINSentry from Barclays and SecureKey from HSBC - which look a lot like calculators - ask users to insert a card or a code to create a unique key at each login, valid for around 30 seconds, that cannot be used again.

This brought a new level of online banking security against password theft.

The additional line of defence provided security even if a user's computer along with any password information was hacked, and they still offer the best level of protection available against online banking fraud.

While these chip and pin devices make the hackers' job more difficult, the hackers themselves have raised their game.
A test witnessed as part of a BBC Click investigation suggests even those with up-to-date anti-virus software could be at risk.There is no specific risk to any one individual bank.

In the test the majority of web security software on standard settings did not spot that a previously unseen piece of malware created in the software testing lab was behaving suspiciously.

The threat does not strike until the user visits particular websites.Called a Man in the Browser (MitB) attack, the malware lives in the web browser and can get between the user and the website, altering what is seen and changing details of what is being entered.
Some versions of the MitB will change payment details and amounts and also change on-screen balances to hide its activities.

With the additional security devices, the risk of fraud is only present for one transaction, and only if the customer falls for the "training exercise".

"The man in the browser attack is a very focused, very specific, advanced threat, specifically focused against banking," said Daniel Brett, of malware testing lab S21sec.

"[Although] many products won't pick this up, they've got a much bigger scope, they're having to defend against all the viruses since the beginning of time."

Every time a new update to the malware is released, it takes the security companies a number of weeks to learn how to spot it - to learn its common features.

But one security company did privately concede that, if this threat had come from a source not known to be bad and started communicating with a web address also not on the black-list of "bad" sites - until they had discovered and analysed it - it probably would have beaten their protection.

Fraud detection software
Makers of many of the security products featured in tests argued that it was not valid as it only tested one part of their protection.

They point out that they continually search for and blacklist websites, emails, and other sources of malware.

Mark Bowerman, of Financial Fraud Action UK, said: "Banks also employ what's called back-end security and that's what's happening behind the scenes to protect you from online banking fraud.

"We've got intelligent fraud detection software, and it's used to seeing how you operate your online bank account.

"Any deviations from the norm and the software is going to pick it up - that may be the type of transaction you've made or the amount."
Most computer security products will block this kind of threat if their security settings are turned up to maximum but will also block many legitimate programs too.

Online banking fraud losses totalled £16.9 million in the first six months of 2011, according to Financial Fraud Action UK.In the UK, banks usually refund victims of online fraud as a matter of course. Banks and experts say customers must continue using online security anti-virus products.
Monday, February 06, 2012 | 0 comments | Read More

Spectacular High-Res Image of Earth: The Other Side

Written By samizares on Friday, February 3, 2012 | Friday, February 03, 2012

Last week, NASA released its 2012 version of the famous “Blue Marble” image. By using a planet-pointing satellite, Suomi NPP, the space agency created an extremely high-resolution photograph of our watery world.

The photo centered on the western hemisphere, highlighting North and Central America. It went viral and got even more hits on Flickr than the iconic “Situation Room” photo, taken at the time of the assassination of Osama bin Laden.

Now, responding to public demand, the agency has created a companion image: this time focusing its lens toward the East and showing Africa, Saudi Arabia and India.

The Suomi NPP satellite hugs the Earth too closely to get this kind of image in one shot. It’s in a polar orbit with an altitude of 824 kilometers, but the perspective of the Eastern hemisphere Blue Marble is from 12,743 kilometers away.

As such, Nasa Goddard oceanographer Norman Kuring used images from six different orbits of the satellite over an eight-hour time period on Jan. 23, then stitched the photos together to achieve the final composite.

Both of the 2012 Blue Marble images are taken by a new instrument aboard Suomi NPP called the Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS). As for those four vertical lines: That’s the reflection of sunlight off the ocean, or “glint,” that VIIRS captured as it orbited the globe.

Other famous photos of Earth include the original Blue Marble, which was taken on Dec. 7, 1972, by the crew of the Apollo 17 spacecraft. There’s also the equally famous 2002 one, which you might recognize as the default lock screen on the first iPhone. Plus “You Are Here,” an arresting photo of Earth from the surface of Mars, snapped by the Spirit rover in 2004.
Friday, February 03, 2012 | 0 comments | Read More

Micron CEO Steve Appleton dies in plane crash

Micron's chief executive officer and chairman of the board Steve Appleton died earlier today in a plane crash in Boise, Idaho.
Appleton, who was 51, was flying an experimental fixed-wing plane at the time of the accident.

"Steve's passion and energy left an indelible mark on Micron, the Idaho community and the technology industry at large," the company said in a statement.
Appleton had been with Micron since 1983, and previously served as a production manager, director of manufacturing, vice president of manufacturing, and chief operating officer.

Micron, based in Boise, is the largest memory chip manufacturer in the U.S., and one of the largest in the world. The company has plants in Idaho, Utah, and Virginia, and runs a joint manufacturing venture with Intel. Perhaps not a household name among consumers, it's responsible for brands like Lexar and Crucial.
Appleton began his career there as the age of 22, working the overnight shift in the company's factory, and eventually climbed the ranks to become Micron's CEO in 1994 at the age of 34. On the side, he was a stunt pilot, triathlete, and tennis player.
Appleton is survived by his wife and family.
Micron says it will provide more information later today.
Friday, February 03, 2012 | 0 comments | Read More